Skip to main content

What are the chances I got a dwai?

Greenvale, NY |

I was arrested for a dwi about ten years ago and I can't remember if it was reduced to a dwai? I was nineteen it was my first offense and I was pretty much done with court I one or two times going. From your experience how many judges in the past wouldn't have reduced that to a dwai and gave a dwi

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


For an underage, a DWAI was harder to get. Make it simple and check with the clerk of the Court as to the disposition of your case.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.


Call the court and find out what you were convicted of. or call the attorney that represented you. No one here can give you an answer.


Order a certificate of disposition to determine the first case. Normal deals from 10 years ago but different from current deals.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


Go/call the court and ask.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Call the court and they will be happy (or unhappy) to help you out. If you just plead guilty make then, you may be able to come back with a attorney now and reopen the case.

This is not legal advice. If order to give you legal advice i would need to see the Tickets and talk to the court first. Good luck:)


You cannot call the court, they will not give out that information over the phone. Your lawyer shouldn't be bothered to look up a 10 year old file for free, and they only keep files for 7 years mostly as that is who long the bar association makes them keep them. You can go to the clerk of the court and get a Certificate of Disposition or ask her to look it up and tell you if you do not need the proof in writing.


This information should be on your Abstract of Driving Record (i.e. driving history). You can get it by going down to your local DMV. It usually costs about $11.00.

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer