What are the CA laws re: General Contractors and Property Damage?

Benicia, CA |

I live on a boat in a No. CA Marina surrounded by Condominiums. The residents of the Condos sued the Builder (K&B) because the land they were built on is unstable, causing the foundations to sustain serious damage. They won the suit; K&B has to pay to have the foundations replaced. Went to my car in the parking lot yesterday and noticed it was covered in paint. A neighbor told me he saw the Contractors covering THEIR vehicles to protect from the over-spray but they did NOT cover mine. In fact, it was the only car next to the project that was not. I asked one of the workers who was in charge and was directed to an onsite office. The secretary stated she would contact her Boss to have him contact me. Have not heard from anyone in over24 hrs. What recourse do I have? I took photos.

It sounds like KB (or its sub) may be liable to you, if it was performing the painting work and negligently caused damage to your car. Suggest you enclose your damage estimate or invoice with a letter demanding reimbursement. You may also wish to provide this info to your insurance along with a claim, and they will probably go after KB. If neither course works, you can sue in Small Claims court for up to $10k. Good luck.

This response is intended to provide general legal information rather than specific legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Thank you very much, Sir...I sincerely hope you have a wonderful evening!