Skip to main content

What are the best sources to research cases involving punitive damages for fraud?

Los Angeles, CA |
Filed under: Fraud Arbitration

A general contractor and his subcontractor schemed individually or collectively to defraud the owner? The design program was changed without authorization by the GC. The end result was the rationing of materials to increase the profits of both the GC and Sub. Have upcoming arbitration against the GC only.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


2 free sources of free legal research are Google Scholar, and lexisone.

Of course if you're serous about trying to get punitive damages, which are difficult to get, you need a lawyer.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.


There are several ways. First, you can go to the court's in your area and look through the records. Some courts are on line and you can look there. Second, you can talk to lawyers in your area and ask if they know of any punitive damage awards. Third, you can search actual case law. There are several websites that provide case law though it will cost some money. Fourth, there are services that track verdicts. One is Jury Verdict Research. You can put in parameters and get results that way. Good luck.

The information provided should not be considered legal advice. I am not licensed to practice in any State other than SC. The results of your case will depend on the presentation of evidence, the law and other factors that may change depending on an in depth analysis of the facts of the case. Please see an attorney before making legal decisions.


Try using Google: "punitive damages" fraud California

However, it sounds like you have a contractual dispute and if the amount is signifacent you are better served by consulting with counsel.

This is not legal advice but a general comment on society.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer