Skip to main content

What are the appropriate steps to take if the non-custodial parent cannot get in contact with the custodial parent?

San Antonio, TX |

The custodial parent does not inform the non-custodial of current address or correct phone numbers for months at a time. The only contact is via facebook messages, also there is over 100 miles distance between the parents.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    You can file a motion for enforcement to make her turn over her address. But you likely need a modification of the prior orders to include a children's bill of rights which is very specific about parents notifying each of the goings on with the child. And it has ugly contempt teeth that isn't normally in the order.

  2. It it interferes with your possession of the child, file a Motion for Enforcement (contempt) and also a Motion to Modify custody.

    This does not establish an attorney/client relationship

  3. Both parents are required to keep the other and the court updated with address and employment information.

    Hire a lawyer an enforce.

    If you want to enforce visitation, you will have to show that you have been at the place listed in the order at the dates and times you were supposed to pick up the child/ren.

    This answer DOES NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is based on the limited information provided and is not intended to be conclusive advice. There are likely other factors that might influence or change the advice after a more lengthy consultation.

  4. Document, document, document! Keep track of all your efforts to exercise visitation. Phone calls do not count. Go to the address in the final order at the specified time WITH a witness. The do it the next time you were supposed to have the chldren. Then again.
    Hire a lawyer to file to enforce th evisitation (contempt). The court may order that your attorney's fees be reimbursed.
    Good luck!

    Any communication through the AVVO site with Sherrie Travers or any individual member of the firm, Travers & Travers, does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. Any information given by Sherrie Travers or by any individual member of the firm through the AVVO site is general information and should not be relied on as legal advice. This answer is based upon limited information and is not intended to be conclusive in your circumstances as there may be other factors that might change or alter the advice given herein. Confidential or time-sensitive information should be conducted in person with an attorney.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics