What are the advantages of obtaining your own records opposed to having a lawyer do it?

San Antonio, TX |

I am not sure if it would be advantageous or cost effective to obtain my own medical records or have a lawyer do it.

It is usually faster and sometimes cheaper to do it yourself, but health care providers are much more likely to leave things out if records are requested by a patient. The exception is the VA system, they are very good about providing records to veterans. Another problem with getting your own records is that you may not know what to get. An experienced lawyer will interview the potential client and zero in on what is needed. When the records arrive, the lawyer will generally have a good idea if things were left out that should be there, and will have the background to understand what he or she is reading. Another disadvantage of getting the records yourself is that you will try to read them, and have no idea what you are reading. In cases where clients come to me with records, I generally have to re-order them myself, or order more. For these reasons, I generally discourage people from ordering records themselves.

Any opinions stated in response to Avvo questions are based upon the facts stated in the question. Responses to Avvo questions are for general information purposes only, and should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice.

It is much faster if you do it yourself.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

It can be faster if you do it yourself, if you know what you are doing. Otherwise you can let your attorney do it for you. I hope you found my answer helpful.

It would be faster to get records yourself. But, the question here is what are you wanting the records for? What type of records are you wanting? If this is for a legal issue I strongly suggest you seek legal advise before communicating with the other party involved.

Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at www. I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Recommended articles about Personal injury