What are the advantages of obtaining your own records opposed to having a lawyer do it?

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Antonio, TX

I am not sure if it would be advantageous or cost effective to obtain my own medical records or have a lawyer do it.

Pro

7

Answered . It is much faster if you do it yourself.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  2. Joseph Jonathan Brophy

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . It is usually faster and sometimes cheaper to do it yourself, but health care providers are much more likely to leave things out if records are requested by a patient. The exception is the VA system, they are very good about providing records to veterans. Another problem with getting your own records is that you may not know what to get. An experienced lawyer will interview the potential client and zero in on what is needed. When the records arrive, the lawyer will generally have a good idea if things were left out that should be there, and will have the background to understand what he or she is reading. Another disadvantage of getting the records yourself is that you will try to read them, and have no idea what you are reading. In cases where clients come to me with records, I generally have to re-order them myself, or order more. For these reasons, I generally discourage people from ordering records themselves.

3. Martin Paul Weniz

5

Answered . It can be faster if you do it yourself, if you know what you are doing. Otherwise you can let your attorney do it for you. I hope you found my answer helpful.

4. Michael Shemtoub

4

Answered . It would be faster to get records yourself. But, the question here is what are you wanting the records for? What type of records are you wanting? If this is for a legal issue I strongly suggest you seek legal advise before communicating with the other party involved.