What are the advantages of a Nevis LLC, and what structure one should chose to make business in the USA?

Miami, FL |

I would also like to know the disadvantages of a Nevis LLC or an offshore in general?
Can such LLC hold intellectual property?
I don't understand about the banking and the "white" credit card . How can I make business in the USA?
Maybe my questions don't make sense but I am sure that such lawyers are available and I would like to have a consultation in the above regard.

Thank you,
C.

1. I googled Nevis LLC and did a cursory review of their website. Like anything else that sounds too good to be true, it probably is. It is possible to save taxes by using a “Dutch Sandwich,” which involves having a trust in the Dutch West Indies that owns a Netherlands corp (or the other way round), but you need the services of an international tax lawyer to set it up correctly. Just buying a Nevis LLC will not likely do it if you are a US citizen or legal resident. They say US court orders don’t apply in Nevis, which may be true. But as long as you are a US citizen, they will apply to you. Don’t try it without getting some expensive tax counsel. If it’s an LLC, it can hold intellectual property.

DISCLAIMER—This answer is for informational purposes only under the AVVO system, its terms and conditions. It is not intended as specific legal advice regarding your question. The answer could be different if all the facts were known. This answer does not establish an attorney client relationship. I am admitted only in California. (Bryant) Keith Martin sbbizlaw.com

2. Why do you wish to go offshore? I know of no impediment to holding Intellectual Property in an offshore LLC, but again question the wisdom. It is no clear whether you reside in the US or elsewhere, or what business you are seeking to launch. There are some valid, lawful, and ethical uses of offshore enterprises, but they are also used for less honorable activities.

We do a lot of work with start ups and we work with foreign nationals doing business in the U.S. I would need to know more to determine whether we could be helpful.

3. I have set up offshore companies for clients for 30 years. It almost never makes sense to do so for a US resident who must pay income on his worldwide income. Seeing Nevis or certain other tax havens is a virtual guaranty that the IRS and your state taxing agency will audit you every year for the rest of your life. Put you focus on making money and be happy that you pay taxes on your good fortune in a country with political and economic stability.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

Business topics