What are statute of limitations for convicted felons?

Asked about 3 years ago - Loveland, CO

A friend was arrested few years ago for false info to a pawn broker. His sentence was jail time & 2 years supervised probation. A month from completion he missed a meeting with p o (working). After being arrested is informed he'll be resentenced this time open sentencing. Said person has moved away & is doing pretty for himself & his family. Is there a statute of limitations that might apply 2 this scenario? Original conviction was in 2007.

1. Danyel S. Joffe

Answered . If the probation violation motion was filed before his case was closed, then his case stays open and there is no limitation on the State’s ability to try and revoke his probation and resentence him. If his probation has not yet been revoked however, he can still fight the probation revocation motion and might even have a chance to win. Further, there may well be a chance to work out a new plea bargain that would keep your friend out of jail. Your friend should seek legal counsel as soon as possible.

2. Joseph Scheideler

Answered . Missing a meeting with a PO is grounds for a violation of probation which then puts you before the same court for resentencing on the original charge. Are you sure he wasn't violated for leaving the state without permission, it is very rare for a PO to violate you on one missed meeting in CO
    Joe Scheideler
    PS there is no statute of limitations - once his parole/probation is over, he can't be violated but the record of his felony stays on his record

3. Barry Franklin Poulson

Answered . If he was still on probation I see no basis for any statutory limit. There is considerable risk here, and I think he needs to hire an attorney to try to work this out with the PO or the court.

You can search out a local criminal defense attorney here on AVVO.