What are some things that should be included in a mediation agreement?

Bonita Springs, FL |

Ex husband and I have an upcoming mediation. He is very unreasonable man, so I want to be sure I can include any and everything that needs to be included with details such as time and dates.. I was hoping I can get some insight on what should be included..we have 2 children ages 5 and 6. Both are in school, we live in the same county about 20min from each other.

1. That is a difficult question to answer in a simply question and answer format such as this, since so much depends on your personal situation. Your mediator will certainly provide you with guidance, as well as your attorney. There are articles available on the Internet which may be of assistance.

By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.

2. You do not say, but it seems that you are asking about Parenting mediation. First, tell the mediator right up from that you want an agreement that has details and specifics; the mediator should be able to help you with this. In preparation, I suggest that you read a great book called Mom's House Dads House, by Isolina Ricci; this book has great ideas about what needs to be considered regarding parenting. You are on the right track; for schedules the regular school schedule, summer schedule, holiday and special day schedule, vacations and school breaks it is best to put in exact times, and dates (for example: the Thanksgiving holiday should state when it begins and when it ends) and how changes or events (vacations) are determined (by notice, by meeting, etc). You should specify precisely how the two of you will communicate about the children in the future (regular meetings, emails, etc.). Transportation arrangements should be detailed; decision making should be described (not just "joint") say specifically what decisions are covered and how the decision will be made. If you are concerned about follow through, you should address what happens if one of you does not follow through or is late. Good luck!

3. Ms. Synovec has provided sound advice. I will add only a few more comments. First, if you are looking for age-appropriate parenting plans, there are a few model plans that can help you. You can find these and other helpful parenting information at http://www.afccnet.org/resourcecenter/resourcesforfamilies/categoryid/1. Second, keep in mind that the Parenting Plan ought to be regarded as a living organism. It needs to be allowed to grow and change to accommodate your children's growing and changing needs. Finally, if your "ex" is unreasonable, you may not be able to change him. But you can keep yourself sane and centered by continuing to focus on your children's best needs and to minimize conflict. Best wishes to you.

THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as Avvo.com are provided for information purposes only. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.

4. What are you mediating, original action, Supplemental Petition, contempt issues, etc.? Then what are the issues being mediated, Equitable Distribution, Parenting Pan, Child Support, Spousal Support. No one can advise you what needs to be in a MSA or a Supplemental MSA without knowing the issues.

I offer a free consultation and handle family matters in Lee and Collier Counties, (239) 732-6631.

Child custody topics