What are probate procedures and contesting a will in Michigan

Asked over 5 years ago - Detroit, MI

My mother executed a will in TX years ago. She recently died in Colorado. I have "will" but am not sure how to deal with. Can I legally open and read will or does it have to be done in Colorado? Also, does the will then have to be filed in Colorado? Sister-brother live in CO., (1) sister lives in TX., and I live in Mi. Perplexed as to what to do.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Kenneth V. Zichi

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

    Your question raises a question in my mind: Why do you feel you will need to contest this will? If your mother lived in Colorado when she died, that is where the will should be probated, but that doesn't mean it can't be read now and in a location that is more convenient for everyone.

    If you don't know what is in the will or who is the executor/personal representative, you *should* open it and read it before filing probate as that will define who should do what. I STRONGLY urge you not to do that alone however, but get together with your siblings, and do it together lest there be suspicions.

    If you are uncertain on how to do this, you should consult with a Colorado attorney to have some help walking through the process.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,664 answers this week

2,995 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,664 answers this week

2,995 attorneys answering