What are possible penalties for these charges involving DWI without a valid drivers license?

Brookhaven, NY |

I have a friend who was involved in a DUI arrest last night and I am wondering what legal implications he may face if convicted. He is a college student and made some very serious/idiotic mistakes. This event took place in New York State.

From my understanding he has no prior criminal record.

These are the offenses from what I know however he has not been arraigned yet

-Driving without headlights on
-Driving without a valid drivers license
-Driving while intoxicated while under 21 (I do not know the exact BAC)
-Providing a false name/information to the police
-Resisting Arrest (supposedly was screaming at police officers, they used force against him to restrain him)

Looking at these potential charges, what could one expect as a legal penalty? The car driven did not belong to him.

If possible, based on NY State law, I would like to know what maximum/minimum sentencing guidelines would be if charged with the above crimes.

There are a number of possible outcomes, many of them are not good. He needs a very good attorney quickly. There are DMV consequences as well due to his age.
Make sure he talks to local attorney's.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

Make sure he talks to local attorney's.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

Michael J Palumbo

Michael J Palumbo

He should call you as a local lawyer

Joseph A Lo Piccolo

Joseph A Lo Piccolo

Thank you for that comment! Sincerely, Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq. Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association of Nassau County, 2011-2012 Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo 1103 Stewart Avenue Suite 200 Garden City, NY 11530 516-408-3666 (o) 516-408-3833 (f) jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net<mailto:jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net> This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and return the original message to us at the above address via United States Postal Service. Thank You.

It depends on what county this took place in as the DAs in some counties don't make plea offers on dui cases. He is charged with several misdemeanors. He needs to hire a good criminal defense lawyer who knows how to handle a dui case.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Michael J Palumbo

Michael J Palumbo

He should call you as a local lawyer

If he was locked up on Long Island he is going to jail almost for sure. He is losing his license for at least 1 year. And a lot of other bad stuff. He needs a great lawyer.

Get a good criminal attorney. Even if he has never had contactwith the criminal justice system in the past, he could face jailtime.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.