What are possible consequences for one being the planner of an armed robbery

Snellville, GA |

is not present during the robbery, no prior charges

snellville GA

A person who planned an armed robery with others could be charged with the offense of armed robbery as a party the crime. In other words the possible consequences are big trouble. Such a person needs to discuss this matter with a skilled defense lawyer.

O.C.G.A. 16-2-20 (2010) Party to a Crime

(a) Every person concerned in the commission of a crime is a party thereto and may be charged with and convicted of commission of the crime.

(b) A person is concerned in the commission of a crime only if he:

(1) Directly commits the crime;

(2) Intentionally causes some other person to commit the crime under such circumstances that the other person is not guilty of any crime either in fact or because of legal incapacity;

(3) Intentionally aids or abets in the commission of the crime; or

(4) Intentionally advises, encourages, hires, counsels, or procures another to commit the crime.

2. The possible consequences are that you are charged with and convicted of a serious crime. You should immediately hire a criminal defense attorney to assist you. Do not discuss the situation with others until you get a lawyer involved.

This is for general informational purposes only, and it not intended to be legal advice for your specific situation. Should you desire legal advice, hire a lawyer. If I can be of assistance, please contact my office at (678) 344-5342 or visit us at www.thebeckfirm.com.

3. A conspirator can be charged for anything that occurs during the conspiracy. This would include the robbery, as well as possibly assault, murder etc. If one of the armed robbers commits one of those crimes. You are no less responsible for staying in the car or even in the house when you are involved in the planning.

Michael L. Doyle
    (215) 735-5900

4. I agree with all of the other answers. One other note to consider is that armed robbery in Georgia carries a minimum 10 year prison term without parole. So, this is very serious. Do not talk to anyone until you talk to an attorney

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP hmgrmg@yahoo.com 53 W. Candler St. Or 718 Oak St. Winder, Ga. 30680 Gainesville, Georgia (770) 307-4899 (770) 538-0555 gadebtlaw.com hicksmasseyandgardner.com serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation

5. A person can be charged with a crime if they are the principal or a party to the crime. Therefore, if you aid, abet or encourage someone to commit armed robbery you too may face charges. If someone planned an armed robbery that was carried out, and the evidence is sufficient to satisfy a jury beyond a reasonable doubt, the jury would be authorized to find that person guilty of armed robbery. The penalty for armed robbery is 10-20 years imprisonment, or life in prison. There is no parole (early release) for armed robbery conviction in Georgia.

6. If one planned, aided or abetted the armed robbery, he or she can be charged as a "party to a crime". The maximum sentence is life in prison.

That's as serious as it gets. The person should hire a lawyer ASAP, hopefully before he or she gets arrested.

You can contact me at my office at 770-744-4211 or by email through this website. The questioner and any reader do not have an attorney-client relationship formed by our communications on this website. Advice given by me on this website is general advice based on partial information. You should not rely on any advice given without first hiring a lawyer in the area where the case is pending, and providing that lawyer with full information.