What are penalties when employers violate labor laws?

Asked over 2 years ago - Minneapolis, MN

I work in a restaurant and recently the general manager implemented the policy that waitstaff are not able to eat during their shifts, unless they are working doubles, which are essentially two shifts. I questioned this by stating that I sometimes work 9-10 hours and she expects me to not eat anything during the shift. She stated that she didn't think it's that long to go without food and she often does. In fact, she hung a pre-shift note that states we are no longer able to eat during our shifts, so we'd better come prepared. Employee's were supposed to sign this note. Meanwhile, kitchen and bar staff are still able to eat during their shifts and not every member of management is upholding this rule. I understand working in a restaurant is different than a 9-5 job but...

1. Christian Ryan Peterson

Answered . There are a number of wage laws in Minnesota, one of which requires employers to provide paid breaks to employees. If the employer has violated those laws you need to talk to an attorney about the possibility of a labor lawsuit