What are penalties for running from the police?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Minneapolis, MN

My friend and i both live in minnesota and are both 17. Also neither of us have anything on our record in the past. We were out after curfew the other night and a police tried to stop us, however we both panicked and ran. After a few blocks i turned around with my hands in the air, while my friend was still on the run for 10 minutes after. We did not have and substances on us, and we were not breaking the law in any other way besides curfew. What are possible punishments we can face? Can we face jail time?

1. Landon J Ascheman

Pro

Answered . Yes, you can be charged with a Misdemeanor under 609.487 subdivision (6). A Misdemeanor can carry up to 90 days in jail and up to a $1,000 fine. Although because it is a first offense, it is very unlikely that you will see the full penalty. It's important to keep your record clean though. Depending on the situation, you will likely be charged in juvenile court.

You can find additional information about Misdemeanors at:
    http://www.aschemansmith.com/faqs

It may be a good idea to discuss your case with an attorney. Feel free to contact our office for a free initial consultation. 612-217-0077