What are penalties for driving 40 miles over the speed limit?

I know it is criminal but what are the penalities if I am convicted? My driving record is cleen for many many years and i dont want to lose my license. if i am convicted, will i lose my license? can i get supervision for this ticket? i have 2 felonies on my record from a few years ago.

Chicago, IL -

Ted Harvatin

Ted Harvatin

DUI / DWI Attorney - Springfield, IL

Class A midemeanor. Up to 364 days in jail and or a fine of up to $2500. And no supervision. I sugestt a lawyer.

Daniel G. Galivan

Daniel G. Galivan

DUI / DWI Attorney - Clarendon Hills, IL

This a Class A misdemeanor and believe it or not, it's punishable by up to a year in jail and a $2500 fine. The odds of actually receiving a jail sentence, however, are slim to none, but the fines are always hefty. You cannot get supervision for this offense. That is set in stone (as it's mandated by the statute). We can often get the state to reduce this charge to a "straight speeder" for which you can receive supervision. It really depends on your driving history as a whole and frankly, who the state's attorney is handling the case. You will lose your license for 2 convictions for violating this statute (or any combination of "30 over" and/or "40 over"). Consultations are free. www.galivanlaw.net

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

Criminal Defense Attorney - Mokena, IL

This is a Class B misdemeanor with up to 6 months jail time and a $1,500 fine. Supervision is unlikely. You need a lawyer.

David Scott Olshansky

David Scott Olshansky

Criminal Defense Attorney - Chicago, IL

Here is the applicable law.
625 ILCS 5/11-601.5
Driving 31 miles per hour or more in excess of applicable limit.
(a) A person who drives a vehicle upon any highway of this State at a speed that is 31 miles per hour or more but less than 40 miles per hour in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit established under this Chapter or a local ordinance commits a Class B misdemeanor.
(b) A person who drives a vehicle upon any highway of this State at a speed that is 40 miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit established under this Chapter or a local ordinance commits a Class A misdemeanor.

AND

730 ILCS 5/5-6-1
Sentences of Probation and of Conditional Discharge and Disposition of Supervision....
Section (p) states that Supervision is not allowable for a violation of Aggravated Speeding "(p) The provisions of paragraph (c) shall not apply to a defendant charged with violating subsection (b) of Section 11-601.5 of the Illinois Vehicle Code or a similar provision of a local ordinance."

AND

730 ILCS 5/5-4.5-55
CLASS A MISDEMEANORS; SENTENCE. For a Class A misdemeanor:
(a) TERM. The sentence of imprisonment shall be a determinate sentence of less than one year.
(b) PERIODIC IMPRISONMENT. A sentence of periodic imprisonment shall be for a definite term of less than one year, except as otherwise provided in Section 5-5-3 or 5-7-1 (730 ILCS 5/5-5-3 or 5/5-7-1).
(c) IMPACT INCARCERATION. See Section 5-8-1.2 (730 ILCS 5/5-8-1.2) concerning eligibility for the county impact incarceration program.
(d) PROBATION; CONDITIONAL DISCHARGE. Except as provided in Section 5-5-3 or 5-6-2 (730 ILCS 5/5-5-3 or 5/5-6-2), the period of probation or conditional discharge shall not exceed 2 years. The court shall specify the conditions of probation or conditional discharge as set forth in Section 5-6-3 (730 ILCS 5/5-6-3).
(e) FINE. A fine not to exceed $2,500 for each offense or the amount specified in the offense, whichever is greater, may be imposed. A fine may be imposed in addition to a sentence of conditional discharge, probation, periodic imprisonment, or imprisonment. See Article 9 of Chapter V (730 ILCS 5/Ch. V, Art. 9) for imposition of additional amounts and determination of amounts and payment.
(f) RESTITUTION. See Section 5-5-6 (730 ILCS 5/5-5-6) concerning restitution.
(g) CONCURRENT OR CONSECUTIVE SENTENCE. The sentence shall be concurrent or consecutive as provided in Section 5-8-4 (730 ILCS 5/5-8-4).
(h) DRUG COURT. See Section 20 of the Drug Court Treatment Act (730 ILCS 166/20) concerning eligibility for a drug court program.
(i) CREDIT FOR HOME DETENTION. See Section 5-4.5-100 (730 ILCS 5/5-4.5-100) concerning credit for time spent in home detention prior to judgment.
(j) GOOD BEHAVIOR ALLOWANCE. See the County Jail Good Behavior Allowance Act (730 ILCS 130/) for rules and regulations for good behavior allowance.
(k) ELECTRONIC HOME DETENTION. See Section 5-8A-3 (730 ILCS 5/5-8A-3) concerning eligibility for electronic home detention.