What are parents and children rights and responsibilities after children turn 18 in New York?

Asked over 4 years ago - Bronx, NY

My step-son is 19 now, he lives with us. He dropped school, does not work and does not want to. He behaves impolite, rude, speaks course language, yells at everybody in the house, continuously breaks house rules. our younger child sees all this disrespect and learns. Tension in our home is about to turn into mutual hatred. I do not want the older one to live with us anymore. What does law say about this situation? Is there a legal way to force him out of our home?

1. David Alexander Browde

Pro

Answered . Barring emancipation, a parent's obligation is to support a child until he or she is 21. That doesn't mean you have no options - it just means that you can't just refuse to support the child. You should discuss your situation in detail with a family law specialist near you, to consider whether you have some options.