What are our rights if our child's substitute teacher placed her confidential IEP report on a projector screen?

Asked about 1 year ago - Hacienda Heights, CA

The IEP details or report was placed on the projector screen during class time and my daughter seen it on the screen since it was her name the appeared on the screen/wall and she was able to read the details of her disability related to Spina-Bifida and her issues with her bowl movement control and this report indicating very confidential details of this and that she must wear a pull-up diaper. My daughter is 9 years old and the fact that she herself was able to see this information brought her into a panic and tears as she prayed no other child would see this. This barely happened today and as a parent am very upset that I for one just want to pull her out of this school. It possibly was an error by the substitute teacher, but in my mind, she should be careful with such confidential info.

1. Golnar Sargeant

Answered . Consult an educational rights attorney, and also complain to the school.

2. Michelle Alissa Ball

Answered . This is confidential information which never should have been disclosed. Options include filing a complaint with the Family Policy Compliance Office (U. S. Department of Education- link below), filing internally with the District or filing with your local grand jury. There may be other options as well.

The school should be confronted on the matter and take corrective actions. Your daughter may request counseling, etc. to assist her in recovering from the situation. If you involve an attorney, it can facilitate this not happening again and the District would know you are serious. Or, you can approach them on your own.

Best of luck,
    Michelle Ball
    Law Office of Michelle Ball
    California Education Attorney advocating for the rights of parents and students since 1995.