What are our rights if our child's substitute teacher placed her confidential IEP report on a projector screen?

Asked about 1 year ago - Hacienda Heights, CA

The IEP details or report was placed on the projector screen during class time and my daughter seen it on the screen since it was her name the appeared on the screen/wall and she was able to read the details of her disability related to Spina-Bifida and her issues with her bowl movement control and this report indicating very confidential details of this and that she must wear a pull-up diaper. My daughter is 9 years old and the fact that she herself was able to see this information brought her into a panic and tears as she prayed no other child would see this. This barely happened today and as a parent am very upset that I for one just want to pull her out of this school. It possibly was an error by the substitute teacher, but in my mind, she should be careful with such confidential info.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Golnar Sargeant

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Consult an educational rights attorney, and also complain to the school.

    We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute... more
  2. Michelle Alissa Ball

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . This is confidential information which never should have been disclosed. Options include filing a complaint with the Family Policy Compliance Office (U. S. Department of Education- link below), filing internally with the District or filing with your local grand jury. There may be other options as well.

    The school should be confronted on the matter and take corrective actions. Your daughter may request counseling, etc. to assist her in recovering from the situation. If you involve an attorney, it can facilitate this not happening again and the District would know you are serious. Or, you can approach them on your own.

    Best of luck,
    Michelle Ball
    Law Office of Michelle Ball
    California Education Attorney advocating for the rights of parents and students since 1995.


Related Topics

Privacy law

Privacy law is typically associated with an individual's right to privacy and control over his or her likeness, but may also deal with corporate matters.

Education law

Education law focuses on issues in schools and universities, such as appealing suspensions and expulsions, or updating IEPs (Individualized Education Programs).

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now