What are my rights when someone is impersonating me on a social media site?

Asked about 4 years ago - Alexandria, LA

Someone is impersonating me on Twitter. They are harassing people and causing major problems. I have contacted Twitter, but the general synopsis is that they won't get back to you in a timely fashion. This has broken apart my relationship and is destroying friendships all in the same breath. What can I do to stop this, find out who it is, and proceed with the next steps? Do I have rights? Would I be able to sue the person? If subpoenaed would Twitter have to release pertinent information like IP address and the e-mail address affiliated with the account? What are the next steps I should take?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Kevin Andrew Thompson

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . I've had good results using the guidelines found here on Twitter's page regarding impersonations - http://support.twitter.com/groups/33-report-a-v...

    It's your best course of initial action. If that fails, you might want to speak to an attorney, depending on what Twitter's response actually is.

    Disclaimer - the answering of this question does not create an attorney-client relationship. Further, this answer is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,220 answers this week

2,650 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,220 answers this week

2,650 attorneys answering