Skip to main content

What are my rights for getting my secruity deposit returned for an apartment I did not rent

Detroit, MI |

I gave 200 for a secruity deposit for an apartment i did not rent and now the owner wont return my phone calls. I wasn't told about a no refund policy. What can I do?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    I agree with Attorney Marchese. If you did not sign a contract, then it would appear you are clearly entitled to your money back. On the other hand, cases all turn on facts. You have shared almost none of the facts in your case. There may be something you have not said that would affect the result. I would send a written demand for return of the money. If the owner refuses to comply, then you will need to decide if it is worth the time, hassle and cost of pursuing the $200 in small claims court.

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

  2. Do you have anything in writing? If he refuses to return it then you would have to go to Small Claims Court to sue.

    *The answer to this question does not constitute legal advice nor does create a client relationship with the attorney answering this question. For more specific advice regarding your situation, please consult an attorney*

  3. Small Claims Court would be your best recourse.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics