What are my rights during a DHR investigation in the state of Alabama?

Cullman, AL |

Three years ago my wife and I allowed her cousin and spouse and their daughter(now 6 years old) to move in to our home. Recently someone reported them to DHR and a case was opened.The DhR representative is now insisting on interviewing my 5 daughters ages 10,13,15,17 and 18. The 18 year old is mentally handicapped. Our family is not under investigation and we have cooperated with everything they have asked up to this point.Is there a way I can prevent this interview?

They are minors, you do not have to let them speak to them. If you are not under investigation, you are not required to do anything. If it might help the child, you may want to cooperate.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Alabama. Responses are based solely on Alabama law unless stated otherwise.

Child custody topics