What are my rights as to privacy of home invasion from the police

Asked over 1 year ago - Denver, CO

I currently live in an apartment in Denver CO. I have a 17 year old son who was on juvenile parole and resided with my sister at the time of this incident.
My son had violated his parole and had a meeting at his aunts house. I took him there was no one there so we went to my apartment and he called them, told them where he was they said they were here already but couldnt find him. they were at the wrong apartment so my son went out and they arrested him. handcuffed and in custody. I asked them if they needed me anymore and they said no. I entered my apt. and closed the door which, apparently did not latch, and went into my room. I heard a police radio and entered the frontroom and there was a cop there and I told him to get out. there was a scuffle, more cops, was beat up arrested.

1. Stephen Clark Harkess

1

Answered . There are not nearly enough details in your post to determine if the police violated the 4th Amendment when they entered the residence, much less to determine whether any such violation has an effect on the validity of your arrest. It would be necessary to know what information the police had and what reason they believed they had for making the entry. You need a criminal defense attorney and your attorney needs to get the District Attorney's discovery file in order to determine what is behind the entry and arrest.

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

2

Answered . No doubt, the police version of events will be different. FYI, police MAY enter under exigent circumstances without warrant. Get yourself a criminal defense attorney ASAP.

3. David Littman

Pro

Answered . You also need to consult with an attorney who sues the police on brutality cases to determine if the police were out of line. Good luck to you.