What are my rights as noncustodial parent?

Asked over 3 years ago - Houston, TX

I want to sue the custodial parent for abusing cocaine and marijuana.

1. Christopher Jay Harding

1

Answered . Do you mean you want to change the custody order? Your rights are going to depend on the orders in place. If there are no orders, you should file a law suit to get such orders in place, and show the abuse to make sure to get primary custody.

If orders are already in place, you would be filing a motion to modify and base it on drug abuse and placing the child in dangerous situations. Either way you should consult with an attorney and probably hire one. Good luck to you and your child.

2. Cynthia Russell Henley

Answered . You would need to file in family court to get custody changed and perhaps to get the current custodial parent's visitation changed to supervised. (The court can also order drug treatment and testing.)