What are my rights as noncustodial parent?

Asked over 3 years ago - Houston, TX

I want to sue the custodial parent for abusing cocaine and marijuana.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Christopher Jay Harding

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Do you mean you want to change the custody order? Your rights are going to depend on the orders in place. If there are no orders, you should file a law suit to get such orders in place, and show the abuse to make sure to get primary custody.

    If orders are already in place, you would be filing a motion to modify and base it on drug abuse and placing the child in dangerous situations. Either way you should consult with an attorney and probably hire one. Good luck to you and your child.

    This answer is intended for informational and educational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice... more
  2. Cynthia Russell Henley

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You would need to file in family court to get custody changed and perhaps to get the current custodial parent's visitation changed to supervised. (The court can also order drug treatment and testing.)

    Although I have answered the question to try to help you, you should consult with a lawyer in your area in person... more

Related Topics

Parental rights in child custody

Parental rights includes the rights a parent has in regards to his or her children. Mothers, fathers, and unmarried parents are sometimes treated differently.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,494 answers this week

3,218 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,494 answers this week

3,218 attorneys answering