What are my rights as a unwed mother in NC?

Greensboro, NC |

what are my rights as a unwed mother in NC? My child's father and I never married and were not married when he was born. But he signed the birth certificate, we stayed together for 3months then I moved out, and me and the baby have been on our own since then, what rights do I have as an unwed mother?

1. You have custody rights and rights to child support from the other parent. Since you are unmarried you do not have rights to alimony, postseparation support, and equitable distribution of property.

Scott Allen is a divorce and family law attorney in Wake County, North Carolina with over seventeen years of experience. He can be reached at 919-648-0658. DISCLAIMER: YOU SHOULD SEEK THE ADVICE OF A QUALIFIED ATTORNEY IN YOUR AREA TO ANSWER YOUR SPECIFIC LEGAL QUESTIONS. SCOTT ALLEN IS LICENSED ONLY IN THE STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA AND THIS RESPONSE DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVICE AND DOES NOT CREATE AN ATTORNEY/ CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. RATHER, THE RESPONSE IS IN THE FORM OF LEGAL EDUCATION AND IS INTENDED TO PROVIDE GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE MATTER IN QUESTION. ALTHOUGH A RESPONSE IS PROVIDED TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTION, THERE MAY BE OTHER FACTS AND LAW RELEVANT TO THE ISSUE THAT THE QUESTIONER HAS LEFT OUT AND WHICH WOULD MAKE THE REPLY UNSUITABLE. THEREFORE, THE QUESTIONER SHOULD NOT BASE ANY DECISION ON THE ANSWER, BUT SHOULD CONFER WITH AN ATTORNEY IN PERSON AS SATTED ABOVE REGARDING THE SPECIFICS OF HIS OR HER CASE

Child custody topics