What are my rights as a tenant to end my lease? My landlord verbally said a two month notice was acceptable.

Philadelphia, PA |

then she sent an email that my Rental agreement/lease is for one yr, and that I would be breaking the lease early and am responsible for early termination fees. The actual lease reads "for a period of 3 months", then states the one year period (March 2013-March2014). Via phone she stated a two month notice was required. Because I only gave one month notice I expected to pay two months of rent. I paid June rent, and they are holding my last months rent (for the second month) as well as a security deposit. I only accepted the job across the country because I understood our verbal agreement of 2 months notice, and that my lease stated a 3 month term, not a full year. What are my rights as a tenant?

1. What does the lease say? That will likely control this situation. You will probably need to hire a lawyer to negotiate terms with your landlord.

This answer is informational only and does not create an attorney client relationship. I am not expressing an opinion on the merits of your case based on the facts above. My answer to this question might seem curt or mean. My job is not to be your friend, but to tell you the truth. Sometimes the truth hurts. You don't want a lawyer that tells you everything you want to hear, pats your head, rubs your belly, and gives you a balloon. That lawyer is not doing you any favors. This is not legal advice. This is free. You pay for legal advice.