What are my rights as a tenant?

For months, I have reported noise complaints, issues with the apartment and nothing has been done. I called my apartment manager today and she literally hung up in my face. She got mad because I told her she violated my privacy by discussing my business in front of her staff when she conducted an inspection. She also told me she can say whatever she want to in front of whoever she want to. I told her it's against the law, but she kept telling me she can. I told her it took 6 months for them to come and fix my blind, repair a carpet in my bedroom and they still haven't done anything about my lease agreement being broken constantly by them. In my agreement, I am entitled to a peaceful living environment and she told me she don't have to do anything and then hung up in my face! What can I do?

Fort Smith, AR -

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Landlord / Tenant Lawyer - Fairfax, VA

If you documented your complaints in writing you MIGHT have grounds to recover some rent money you already paid--but it depends on what needed to be fixed. You do have a right to quiet enjoyment of yoru property and if you can document unreasonable disruption of which your landlord is aware, and she takes no action you MAY be able to terminate the lease.

There is no such thing as landlord-tenant confidentiality and it does not violate any law I am aware of for a property manager to discuss a tenant with staff.

Recommend you contact a FT Smith area landlord tenant attorney and review all your facts and circumstances to determine (1) what you can to do make the situation better (2) what legal options you MIGHT have. I wish you all the best.

Related Advice