What are my rights as a tenant?

Fort Smith, AR |

For months, I have reported noise complaints, issues with the apartment and nothing has been done. I called my apartment manager today and she literally hung up in my face. She got mad because I told her she violated my privacy by discussing my business in front of her staff when she conducted an inspection. She also told me she can say whatever she want to in front of whoever she want to. I told her it's against the law, but she kept telling me she can. I told her it took 6 months for them to come and fix my blind, repair a carpet in my bedroom and they still haven't done anything about my lease agreement being broken constantly by them. In my agreement, I am entitled to a peaceful living environment and she told me she don't have to do anything and then hung up in my face! What can I do?

If you documented your complaints in writing you MIGHT have grounds to recover some rent money you already paid--but it depends on what needed to be fixed. You do have a right to quiet enjoyment of yoru property and if you can document unreasonable disruption of which your landlord is aware, and she takes no action you MAY be able to terminate the lease.

There is no such thing as landlord-tenant confidentiality and it does not violate any law I am aware of for a property manager to discuss a tenant with staff.

Recommend you contact a FT Smith area landlord tenant attorney and review all your facts and circumstances to determine (1) what you can to do make the situation better (2) what legal options you MIGHT have. I wish you all the best.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

I do have emails that I have sent and a police report I filed against my neighbors for threats being made against me. She didn't do anything about them and they are still next door. She said she doesn't have to come in my apartment to listen to them bang on my wall, but one of her staff members did come and he witnessed them banging on my wall one day. He stayed for at least 5 minutes and heard the noise they created. He even mentioned that it seems like they were doing it on purpose. I told her this and she said she don't care.

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Rixon Charles Rafter III

She is not required to care. But she is required to take steps to ensure your quiet enjoyment--contact a local attorney--many offer free consultations.

Yes, I know and understand she's not required to care. Thank you, I will do that.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant