Skip to main content

What are my rights as a single mother who raised my child for over five yrs before his bio father surfaced?

Port Orchard, WA |

I have a six yr old son that was conceived out of wedlock while separated from my husband. Although my husband and I ultimately divorced, he knowing he was no biologically bound to the child chose to be his father in ever way. I raised our son as sole custodial parent. He had regular visitation we settled on outside of court. Against the wishes of my family and ex husband I pursued the bio father with no luck until my son was five yrs old. Finally the state subpoena got the bio dad in the picture. I was so supportive and enthusiastic for my son and his bio father to meet and set up visitation etc. Unfortunately this has backfired and he has hired a GAL and is seeking custody. Due to the fact that my boyfriend who we have lived with is in drug court he has obtained temporary custody.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Your rights as the mother have not changed. as to who will be designated as the primary custodial parent, that is an issue left up tot he trial court. IF a GAL has bee appointed to make a recommendation, it would be foolish of you not to hire an attorney to represent your interests because the court will rely heavily on what the GAL recommends.

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer