Skip to main content

What are my rights as a separated vet who is owed over $3000 from DFAS? I've stressed every avenue aside from contacting REP.

Greensboro, NC |
Filed under: Military law

Finalized my contract in NOV2012. Sold back the leave days I did not use, 45.5 totaling over $3000. I was paid $1119. Then received a letter of overpayment totaling $917. I disputed it. I won. I received another letter informing me of payment owed to me within 30-45 days. It's been 7 months.
No creditor will touch it. I've called DFAS directly with no help. Opened tickets of inquiry which were all closed and not responded to within the same day. If contacted my old Chain of Command. They did what they could. I'm owed money. I feel like I could have started my civilian life differently if DFAS just kept their word. Now they have $3000 of my hard earned and sacrificed money and aren't willing to tell me anything about it. I'm stonewalled.
What can I do?

Attorney Answers 3


I think your next step is to file a claim, beginning with DOHA.;; 703-298-9562, 800-401-1583. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Got to love the bureaucracy. I would go the Congressional route. Outside of that, your only remedy is to sue, which would be more expensive then it is worth.

This post is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney client relationship with Mr. Cassara.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Wake Forest University School of Law has a Veterans Law clinic that might be a good place for you to go.

This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended to form a client/lawyer relationship. You can contact me for a limited telephone consultation or an email consultation at my website,, which is listed below. In addition to operating my own firm, I also work for North Carolina Prisoner Legal Services, Inc., a non-profit law firm which exists to protect the rights of prisoners in the custody of the state of North Carolina. If a loved one is in prison in North Carolina, advise the inmate that they may write to North Carolina Prisoner Legal Services, Inc. NCPLS will review their case at no cost and will litigate at no cost to the inmate if the case meets NCPLS' standards. NCPLS can also provide some assistance to inmates seeking to represent themselves. I am also available for cases that do not deal with inmates incarcerated in North Carolina's jails and prisons.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Military law topics

Recommended articles about Military law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics