What are my rights as a separated vet who is owed over $3000 from DFAS? I've stressed every avenue aside from contacting REP.

Asked about 1 year ago - Greensboro, NC

Finalized my contract in NOV2012. Sold back the leave days I did not use, 45.5 totaling over $3000. I was paid $1119. Then received a letter of overpayment totaling $917. I disputed it. I won. I received another letter informing me of payment owed to me within 30-45 days. It's been 7 months.
No creditor will touch it. I've called DFAS directly with no help. Opened tickets of inquiry which were all closed and not responded to within the same day. If contacted my old Chain of Command. They did what they could. I'm owed money. I feel like I could have started my civilian life differently if DFAS just kept their word. Now they have $3000 of my hard earned and sacrificed money and aren't willing to tell me anything about it. I'm stonewalled.
What can I do?

1. Philip Douglas Cave

Pro

4

Best Answer

Answered . I think your next step is to file a claim, beginning with DOHA.

2. Sarah Jessica Farber

1

Answered . Wake Forest University School of Law has a Veterans Law clinic that might be a good place for you to go.

3. William Emil Cassara

Pro

1

1

Answered . Got to love the bureaucracy. I would go the Congressional route. Outside of that, your only remedy is to sue, which would be more expensive then it is worth.