What are my rights as a renter, when it pertains to guests & noise level hours?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

I rent a room in a 2 bedroom condo. It is a month to month contract. All had been well till my land lady told me that 1 guest I had over was too loud & that she felt it was disrespectful & would have to give me 2 weeks notice. Mind u, it was the 1st time. Than the next day she again had issues w/sound, noise & visitors.. The volume of sound is kept at such a minimal that only the door opening/closing & maybe a few words may be heard. I've never had an issue before & I fear her threats so much I barely want to watch a movie, have a quiet guest, my boyfriend or take a late shower in my room. There have been times when she's been loud or had guests spend the night in the common area w/o notice. Is there any time ordinance? The contract specifies nothing of guests, noise, time or anything.

1. Thomas Anthony Schaeffer

1

Answered . There are sound ordinances but I don't think they apply to your situation necessarily. Your LL/roommate can ask you to move out for any reason or for no reason at all but she must give you proper notice. If you have not lived there for over a year, then she must give you 30 days notice. If you've been there over a year, then it is 60 days. In the end you are on a month to month agreement and it can be terminated by either party.

My suggestion, find somewhere else, living under those conditions is not fun.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now