What are my rights as a parent against grandparents rights.

Asked over 2 years ago - Reading, PA

My children's father is deceased. I have always soley raised my children on my own. The thing is I had my son when I was 16. I lived with his parents untill I was 18. I am now almost 30. Their father passed in 2009. They were very distant from my children before the death of their son but after he died I decided to move closer to them for their comfort. They over stepped their boundaries w/ religious beliefs and talking to my son who is now 13 about my parental decisions. I decided after a year to once again move away and distance myself from them. I have 2 sons, one 9 and one 13. My oldest does not want to see them because of their behavior towards our beliefs. What will happen to me if I decide to refuse a court decision I feel is not healthy for my children?

Additional information

What actions can I take? Does anyone consider parents rights anymore? I'm definitely upset and confused to how anyone has the right to come in and try to take over something I've been doing on my own this whole time. Also, can I get them for lying on documentation. They lied and said I refused them to be able to see my children. They also lied about how involved they were in my children's lives and lied about paying bills, and clothing for my children to make it look like they were more involved than they were. Why do I feel like I'm fighting and they are skating through w/ getting more than average time w/ my children? I am trying to get my children through an emotional time in their lives and these people are causing so much problems within our family. I'm a single parent and not only is this causing emotional stress on all 3 of us but also taking money away from my children and causing major stress. Can this really be looking out for the best interest for my children? Please help.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Charles Thomas Jr.

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . Lots of questions there, but the answer is really simple – the court will allow them to see your kids if the court believes it is in their best interest. The kids don't get a vote, and you don't get a veto.

    If you defy a court order, you could be held in contempt, and contempt of a custody order is now a criminal contempt.

  2. Justin C. Gearty Jr.

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . You really need to consult with a lawyer. If you just ignore the court's order, you may be held in contempt of court and you could be fined, put in jail, and/or both. You must obey an order of the court regardless of whether you think it is fair or not.

    However, it should be noted that you can modify a custody order. Your best bet is to consult with a lawyer to discuss the likelyhood of getting the order modified, but in the meantime, you will need to follow the order or face the possibility of being held in contempt.

    Justin C. Gearty Jr., Esquire
    Phone: 717-490-6325
    Email: Justin.Gearty@gmail.com

    This post is for educational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,623 answers this week

2,844 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,623 answers this week

2,844 attorneys answering