What are my rights as a live in nanny now being evicted?

Everett, WA |

I was hired on as a live in nanny and now being terminated, my ex employer wants to have me evicted. How many days do I have before I have to move out and what are my rights in being a resident as well?

A job where you have a place to live as part of your employment is exempt from the residential landlord tenant act. See RCW 59 18 040 (8). That means you have no rights as a tenant. If you no longer have a job then they don't have to go through the formal eviction process. Any time they allow you is a grace. It is time to go, and anyone who tells you otherwise is not stating the law accurately. I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but there it is. Hope it helps. Elizabeth Powell

As an at-will employee, you can quit at any time for any reason, you can be fired for any reason, a rotten reason, or no reason, except unlawful discrimination. If you do not have an employment contract or union to represent you, your recourse is limited. Discrimination based on age, gender, race, religious beliefs etc.... may give rise to a different answer.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "Workplace Discrimination: A Basis for Wrongful Termination Claims"

If you have a discrimination theory about retaliatory discharge or hostile workplace conditions you'll need a lawyer. Religious belief, age, gender, race etc. all are discriminatory reasons for which you cannot be legally fired and upon which you might base a wrongful termination suit.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose a Lawyer for you.”

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "What Do I Tell My Lawyer"?

No one can know what the record is in the case because online we cannot find out any details. Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless. Best of luck to you.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the Thumbs-Up tab at the bottom. You may mark this as a Best Answer for the time I spent crafting this and thinking about your matter.