What are my rights as a high school student regarding searches of my phone, car, locker, backpack, and other things?

Asked about 1 year ago - Birmingham, AL

Are my rights limited as a student? What defines a reasonable search of my belongings. Can i chose not to comply with my schools Code of Conduct? Because I am in the public school system, and cannot afford a private school with privacy appealing rules and regulations, am I being forced to hand down my rights as an American Citizen, or am i not entitled basic rights given to Americans because i am a minor and in school obtaining an education to better my community?

1. Patrick Mahaney

Pro

Answered . Your "rights" as a student in the public school system are indeed limited. The general prevailing philosophy is that the school and the school teachers and administrators occupy a role of 'in parens patriae' which is is Latin for "parent of the nation." In law, it refers to the public policy power of the state to intervene against an abusive or negligent parent, legal guardian or informal caretaker, and to act as the parent of any child or individual who is in need of protection. This includes students under the age of majority who are enrolled in the public school system.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now