Skip to main content

What are my rights as a father that was never married to the mother and has no legal visitation arrangments

Virginia Beach, VA |

shortly after my son was born his mother left me nd due to a lack of job security i joined the military and now live here in virginia while my son is in las vegas i dont get leave that often and she wont allow me to bring him here nor does she send pictures or answer my familys calls her entire family has seen him or taken him out of stat with out her but none of my family has ever met him and she rarely calls me to update me on how hes doing. I pay 400 a month in support on my own accord but she opened a case to build back payments and never told me now its all finalized and im getting 600 a month taken out and still dont get to speak with my son or recieve pictures its like now that she has the money comming she doesnt need to call. What can i do

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Child support enforcement usually does not deal with visits. As never married, You have no visitation rights until you fight for them. Here in Florida you do that with a Petition for Paternity, Support and Visitation. I am unsure in Virginia or Nevada. You should have received notice of the child support and if you were overseas or object based on no notice, you need to notify the court immediately of any objections. You need to contact an attorney asap. Child support is usually based on guidelines and 600 does not sound way off. My advice is to interview several attorneys and see which one's philosophy, experience and personality match the best with you. Best of luck.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer