What are my rights as a employee on light duty with a workers comp claim, can my employer fire me or let me go?

Asked over 5 years ago - Portland, OR

I reinjury my shoulder on the job, with my recent employer the claim was denied. I am appealing it. I went back to work light duty and 4 weeks later they laid me off. I recieved a call for a meeting that is happening this week. I heard from one of the supervisors that they are letting me go. Just want to know what my right nos are

1. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . I think you are mixing worker compensation rights and employment rights. Each has distinct rules and present different approaches for your situation. Contact a local lawyer to advise you because the details (information you did not post online) will be helpful to him / her if formulating a plan for you.

This Avvo site has several OR worker compensation attorneys listed as a place for you to start. Good luck to you.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney-client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your locale with whom you enjoy an attorney-client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.