Skip to main content

What are my rights as a debtor?

Glendale Heights, IL |

If a spouse incurred debt's while intoxicated can the spouse limit their liability by posting an ad in the public notices section of a paper e.g. "After 90 days any debts incurred by Ms. X will no longer be recognized." The husband wants to make good on valid debts, but doesn't want to be subjected to claims for years to come.

Attorney Answers 3


No. If it were that easy the daily papers would be three times their size.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


If you spent it, you owe it. Depending on the type of debt it will be subject to certain statute of limitations (credit card for example 5 years).

This is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. This is for education and informational purposes only. It is always recommended that you contact an attorney with any concerns as each individual case is unique.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


The public notice is not even worth the cost of running the notice. Your liability might be limited but you should speak to an attorney.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Marriage and prenups topics

Recommended articles about Marriage and prenups

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics