What are my rights and how much can I sue in a dog bite case?

San Jose, CA |

I was attacked by two dogs (boxers) in San Jose, California. I was bitten on the ankle. My medical bills were about $600. Insurance paid for most. What are my rights and how much can I sue for?

You should consult a personal injury attorney immediately.

Assuming you didn't provoke the dogs, the owner is absolutely liable to you for damages. You are entitled to recover your medical expenses, any wage loss, and any other out-of-pocket expenses, plus damages for pain and suffering and any fear, anxiety, disability or scarring caused by the bites. All of your damages should be paid by the dog owner's homeowner's insurance.

If you need assistance in prosecuting your claim against the dog owner, call my office for an appointment. This is one of my areas of specialty.

It depends on the amount of damages you sustained, i.e. medical costs, time missed from work, future medical care. You'd also be entitled to some damages for pain and suffering, also known as general damages. Liability seems to be pretty clear so you should contact an personal injury attorney to explore your options.

You have received good advice - you need to act quickly and should consult with an attorney who is well-versed in dog bite cases.

Animal law topics