What are my rights against the defamation of my character by another employee and by my employer?

Pittsburgh, PA |

I was recently accused of engaging in inappropriate activity with a member of the opposite sex behind closed doors. Apparently a complaint was filed by another employee who supposedly "walked in on us." I believe this is a malice attack on my character as nothing of the sort has EVER occurred. The HR person refuses to believe anything I have to say. They are taking the word of the complaintant with no proof. I got told "Why would this other person have any reason to lie about this." I am unsure of what HR is going to do but I have a SPOTLESS record here at work and do not want this tainting my reputation or my work record.Is there some rights I have to face the person accusing me and rights as far as filing a grievence with LRB for false statements made against me with no proof? Help!

In answer to your questions, yes there was two of us accused and both of us blatantly deny the accusations. The other individual basically told management the same thing "It never happened." What I meant was the employer is believing the accuser over BOTH of us. I wasn't interested in actually filing a suit, I just wanted to know what my rights were as an emlpoyee and who I could file a grievance with if this issue is pursued by the administration. I have never put myself in a compromising position nor will I ever. Thank you for your assistance. And I actually did post this in the slander category. :)

1. I'm confused, you say that HR is believing the other employee over you? But, you said the other employee "walked in on US". Isn't there another witness? Who was with you and what have they told management?

I wouldn't focus on a defamation suit. An absolute defense to defamation is the allegation is true. You need to focus on defending against the allegation first. It's not time to go on offense. If the activity wasn't inappropriate you may file a grievance.

Good luck!

There is no attorney client relationship created by this email. This response is provided for information purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice upon which one should rely for the purposes of litigation, establishing a course of conduct, or representation.

2. I agree that you should focus on the allegations now, not a defamation lawsuit. Retain a local employment lawyer. This question was posted in the personal injury category.

Philadelphia Personal Injury Lawyer. www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

3. I agree that you should focus on the allegations now, not a defamation lawsuit. Retain a local employment lawyer. This question was posted in the personal injury category.