What are my rights

Asked about 4 years ago - Lyons, IL

our general contractor was let go because he was using other people to do work that weren't on permit.Had to have work redone ,had to pay again and work that was to be done wasn't and it was payed for.I have a lien on my home because contractor didn't pay sub contractor and now he has filed bankruptcy.

1. Arieh Mordechai Flemenbaum

Best Answer

Answered . Lien rights are generally governed by the Illinois Mechanics Lien Act - which provides certain protections to you as the owner. This is particularly true when you have paid the contractor for the work, but the contractor has neglected to pay his sub-contractors. So you may have a defense against the lien claim. Lien claims are often improperly filed by sub-contractors. So, I suggest that you consult with a real estate/construction attorney ASAP (as well as consulting a bankruptcy attorney about claims against the contractor).

We are happy to discuss this with you in greater detail. Please contact me at your earliest convenience for a free case evaluation. We can be reached at 312-236-8110.

This answer is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship. Please consult a local business lawyer to obtain legal advice that is tailored to your circumstances and facts. Good luck to you.

2. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . Make your claim against his bankruptcy filing. This is fairly convoluted so unless you know the ins and outs of the US District Bankruptcy Court, you might consider hiring a bankruptcy attorney to guide you.