Skip to main content

What are my rights? I've been harassed and ignored. Employee agreement says Maryland law is applicable but work in Louisiana??

Bethesda, MD |

I have been sexually harassed by colleague A. The lead, direct supervisor B, was not only aware of the harassment from colleague A, but he also was demeaning, sabotaging my work, constant derogatory comments about "typical women" simply because I was trying to do my job which he was preventing. Took it to Manager C, over us but they are "buddies", and did nothing but allow it and ignore me. Colleague D even complained to Manager C. I have made numerous attempts to resolve, been ostracized, prevented from doing my job, and it appears they are trying to set me up. I have texts, documentation, witnesses, etc.; a non-compete; work for a company contracted by state and federal government. I'm left to resign...I need attorney to know my rights.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Consult an attorney in your area immediately. By agreement two parties can determine the controlling law for an agreement, so although Maryland law would apply...any action you would bring would likely be in Louisiana state court or a federal court in Louisiana -- with such courts applying Maryland law to the facts of the case.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison


I concur with Ms. Peeples- go see an employment law attorney immediately.


You should consult and meet in person with an attorney near you asap. Consider looking for a lawyer by searching Also look at for information about sexual harassment.

steve lebau

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison


I concur with Mr. Lebau- go see an employment law attorney.


There will need to be a more thorough discussion of the facts but it sure sounds like you have a case. I highly recommend that you contact an EMPLOYMENT LAW or SEXUAL HARASSMENT LAW attorney immediately and set up a free office consultation. Most of these cases are handled on a percentage fee basis and you do not have to pay an hourly fee or any retainer to your attorney. If the attorney obtains a settlement for you, the attorney gets a percentage of the settlement. Call an attorney immediately. You may want to look at attorneys on this website at Avvo to get some names. Good luck!

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at and Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at


It sounds as if you really need to chat with an attorney right away to make a plan for immediate action. I have handled many difficult cases like this over the years, and I know it can be stressful to take the steps toward legal action, but there are deadlines to meet and you should meet with someone ASAP to make sure you do not miss any deadlines.

Lawrence R. Holzman
The Holzman Law Firm, LLC.
8955-A, Edmonston Road, Greenbelt, Md 20770, (301) 876-4393.

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer