What are my rights?.

Asked 12 months ago - Silver Spring, MD

I am renting a space for an auto body shop. I have a legal-binding 2 year contract, but I was informed that my landlord wants to sell the business. Am I entitled to stay out my 2 years, or can I be evicted by the new owners, once the sell takes place?

1. Richard S Sternberg

Pro

1

Answered . As the others say, particularly in a commercial lease, the terms of the lease matter. But, if they are the usual terms, you have a term of two years, a covenant of quiet enjoyment, and no unusual termination clause unless you breach. Get a lawyer to read it and advise for an hour's time, then tell them to go away and stop bothering you. When they return, ask them how much they are offering to buy the balance of your lease. It'll cover that attorney fee. For that matter, the legal fee will be much less than the moving expense for an auto body shop. Just moving the painting room will cost much much more than the consult. This review and consult can easily happen in an hour, and I offer a discount for first consults of this nature.

2. Deidra Nicole Proctor

Pro

1

Answered . If your lease agreement is in writing, have a MD attorney review it for clauses that will allow you to stay for the remaining portion of your two-year lease. Many law firms, such as my law office, offer free initial phone consultations.

3. Joshua G Ferguson

2

Answered . This will be controlled, in part, by the agreement you signed with the landlord. I would review that document and if you have any questions, contact local counsel.

4. Cheryl Rivera Smith

2

Answered . Depending on the language of your lease, you might be able to stay the 2 years. As long as you are not in default, a buyer may have to honor the terms of the lease. If they want you out, perhaps you can negotiate a buy-out or cash-for-keys.