What are my right as it relates to treatment and civil liberaties? How long does the child have to decide what dog bit her?

Frederick, MD |

I was contacted by my apartment complex regarding a dog bite of a young child, 24 hours after this incident occurred. The child was supposedly nipped by a white dog but no one said anything. The apartment complex looked up everyone that had a white dog and asked them if they knew of this incident. I informed them that I did not know of the incident and my white Maltese dogs did not bite anyone. Animal control was called and had to do a doggy lineup. The officer took pictures of my two dogs and capture images of me as well. The officer showed the images to the victim and the witness and they informed the officer that is was neither me nor my dogs.The officer called me and said that my dogs and I were no longer suspects. Yesterday, I found out the child lives across from me.

1. I'm not sure you have a question. If the child said it wasn't you or your dogs, then that should be the end of it. I also don't see any violation of your civil liberties here.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.

2. It does not appear any rights or civil liberties of yours were violated. Sounds like the child is not seriously injured and you are not implicated.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

3. I think you are done with the matter as you and your dogs seem to no longer be a suspect according to your facts.

The above answer is for information only; and does NOT constitute legal advice. This answer does not constitute, nor does it create, an attorney-client relationship between KaplunMarx, PLLC, Jonathan D. Marx and any receiver. The information provided on these pages is general only, and you should not act upon this information without consulting with a qualified attorney

4. Although, arguably, improper procedure was followed. On the facts as stated, I do not see that you can make a claim. Lawsuits require proof of two basic elements (1) liability (2) damages. I do not see any damages. Perhaps, you could have a more in depth discussion with a California animal lawyer who makes civil rights violation claims. It is possible that based upon that discussion, the attorney will find enough cause to file a claim.

This is not to be construed as legal advice. I do not have an attorney client relationship with you.

5. I'm glad that it was not your dogs, so you can stop worrying about it