What are my responsibilities as a tenant regarding previous tenant's abandoned property (furniture)?

Philadelphia, PA |

My lease started on June 1st, and I moved into my place only recently. The previous tenant moved out when their lease expired and left a few items of furniture in the bedroom. A week ago (three months into my lease), the previous tenant e-mails me asking to pick up furniture that he left.

I threw out most of their stuff anyway after e-mailing them (and receiving no response for three months), so do I just tell this person "tough luck?" Finally, I was never notified by my landlord of any abandoned furniture or that they were storing it in my room or anything like that. I also doubt they contacted the landlord either

With that in mind...

How am I supposed to respond to this e-mail?
Is this my responsibility to deal with or my landlord?
Is this furniture (legally) mine or my landlord's?

1. You should have turned it over to your landlord. Look at your lease. If nothing is there, check the abandonment laws in your state for defenses. Good luck.

Landlord-tenant topics