What are my refund rights regarding a pending furniture delivery?

Asked over 1 year ago - Boca Raton, FL

My wife and I purchased a reclining sofa, love seat and easy chair on Saturday, April 27 and before we made the purchase, we asked our salesperson what the cost would be for an extended warranty because we had a bad experience with a prior furniture purchase years earlier with another store and were glad we purchased a warranty. Our salesperson told us the furniture comes with a 3-year warranty. When I reviewed the paperwork this afternoon, on the back of the sales order there was a faintly printed Terms And Conditions of Sale that stated the warranty was for one year and the refund policy was 48 hours from the time of purchase. It's been more than 48 hours since the sale was made. I called the store 2 hours ago to talk to a manager and I'm still waiting. What are my rights?

1. Pamela Koslyn

Answered . Generally there's no 3 day "cooling off" period, or right of "rescission" (cancellation) unless the contract at issue is a mortgage, or a home improvement contract, or a door-to-door sale, or unless the contract itself says so. Here it sounds like your contract only gave 48 hours to cancel and get a refund, which could be 48 hours more than some sales.

If the manager hasn't gotten back to you yet, I'd make an appearance at the store, find the salesperson who misinformed you about the 3 year warranty, and have a face-to-face talk with the manager. You don't have as strong a position as they do, but it'll be harder for them to say no to you if you confront them in person. Also you could remind them that word of mouth is very valuable these days, and your use of social media sites and review sites could be very helpful to them, if they're understanding and cooperative with you.