What are my privacy rights while I am on internet?

Chicago, IL |

Do I have right not to be hassled or any information regarding my personal life or anything? Or can my information be sold or passed around for soliciting purposes without my consent?

.

1. There's very little protection for personal information on the Internet. I'm sure there's stuff out there involving me that I'd probably prefer wasn't readily available. ISPs like Yahoo and AOL sell your personal information endlessly for profit, and Facebook was just in the news about this very recently. There aren't a lot of laws that provide user protection. Maybe there should be.

Please be sure to mark the best answer to your question. My answers are general and do not form an attorney-client relationship. I'm happy to talk to prospective clients in my areas of concentration and geographical location.

2. The best way to avoid invasion of privacy is to limit use of the Internet altogether. Official efforts to protect privacy rights have been largely unsuccessful. The balance is between privacy and the free flow of information.

A good resource is the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse. The link appears below:

http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs18-cyb.htm

The information provided here should not be construed to be formal legal advice. The provision of this general advice does not create a lawyer-client relationship. Persons with legal questions are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice regarding their individual legal issues.