What are my privacy rights while I am on internet?

Asked about 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

Do I have right not to be hassled or any information regarding my personal life or anything? Or can my information be sold or passed around for soliciting purposes without my consent?

.

1. Robert Jeffrey Long

Pro

Answered . There's very little protection for personal information on the Internet. I'm sure there's stuff out there involving me that I'd probably prefer wasn't readily available. ISPs like Yahoo and AOL sell your personal information endlessly for profit, and Facebook was just in the news about this very recently. There aren't a lot of laws that provide user protection. Maybe there should be.

2. Barry Cahn Boykin

Answered . The best way to avoid invasion of privacy is to limit use of the Internet altogether. Official efforts to protect privacy rights have been largely unsuccessful. The balance is between privacy and the free flow of information.

A good resource is the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse. The link appears below:

http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs18-cyb.htm