What are my options when Child Support Enforcement enters a wrong Income Withholding Order/Notice?

Asked over 1 year ago - Rantoul, IL

I was checking my account on the childsupportillinois.com website and there was a new income withholding served on my employer today, which states my employer should take addition money for "past due" support but doesn't state for how long or until a certain amount is reached. Also, my account says I'm only behind 6 cents in interest (which I was never 30 days or more late anyways). Can I only petition the Court to change the withholding? Or can I petition Child Support Enforcement to change the withholding also?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . you should have received a copy of the notice to withhold. read it. it tells you that you have so many days, not a lot, to file a petition to challenge its accuracy. do so and send a copy to the employer.

  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It seems that the only error is that there is no termination date in the amount withheld for arrears. That is actually fairly typical. You can seek a modification of the order so that your employer knows when to terminate the amount for the arrears but if the interest is only $.06, that part of the order is not worth pursuing. Please seek the services of a lawyer if you cannot handle this yourself. The modified withholding order must go through the court system before it is served on your employer.

Related Topics

Child support arrears

Child support arrears refers to support payments that are past due. There are several available options for collecting (or repaying) unpaid child support.

Child support enforcement

Child support enforcement is generally handled by the state. Enforcement methods can include withholding income, tax refund offsets, and license suspension.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,452 answers this week

3,601 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,452 answers this week

3,601 attorneys answering