What are my options when a credit bureau re-adds disputed info a year later after they stated in writing that it was removed?

Asked about 1 year ago - Reno, NV

Utility company added collections to my credit report. I disputed to Experian and they "confirmed" and added new disputed info... an apartment addy tied to utility. I then successfully proved to the utility company that I was an entirely different person although had the same name as debtor. Company did not even acknowledge, but played stupid as if I had never existed in their system. Derogatory info was withdrawn in second attempt to dispute with Experian as letter was received stating that disputed collections AND address were removed from my credit report. One year later I check Experian and disputed addy is listed again. The guy is apparently a sleazeball as he skipped out on rent and somehow apartment management has no info on him other than a name. Just don't want any more surprises.

1. Tara D Newberry

Pro

2

1

Answered . You should consult with a consumer protection attorney. Save all correspondence & envelopes and have an attorney review for possible Fair Credit Reporting Act Violations and/or other consumer rights laws.

2. Robert John Willis

Pro

2

1

Answered . You may have a violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act. However, I would first send one more letter to Experian advising them of the incorrect address. Allow them 45 days to correct it (it should not take that long). If they fail to remove the address, contact a FCRA attorney in your area.