What are my options under the Massachusetts Uniform Summary Process in an eviction?

Quincy, MA |

The Discovery I filed was due August 24th and I received it today, August 28th. This gives me a day to prepare my defense as the hearing is August 30th. Will the court give me more time to prepare? What are my options?

You can file a motion to dismiss the eviction, or you can file or make an oral motion to continue the trial to give you additional time to review discovery. You may do better with an attorney to represent you, depending upon your goals.

Christopher Vaughn-Martel is a Massachusetts lawyer with the firm of Vaughn-Martel Law in Boston, Massachusetts. All answers are based on Massachusetts law and the limited facts presented by the questioner. All answers are provided to the general public for educational purposes only and no attorney-client relationship is formed by providing an answer to a question. To schedule a consultation with a lawyer, and obtain advice and review of your specific legal issue, please call us today at 617-357-4898 or visit us at

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant