What are my options regarding a car accident that I was not at fault for and I have no insurance I live in Michigan

Asked over 2 years ago - Northville, MI

I was involved in a car accident and I was not at fault. The car I was driving was in my fathers name and it did not have any insurance the lady that was responsible have insurance. I went to the hospital for x-rays. I want to know my options as far as my hospital bill and the damages to the car. The car was totaled.

1. Christine Marie Heckler

2

Answered . You need to speak with a MICHIGAN attorney about this issue because the law in Michigan regarding auto accidents is unique and most out-of-state lawyers are unfamiliar with our laws. If you are hurt in an accident involving a vehicle you own that is not insured, you would not be paid for medical expenses, wage loss, loss of services, or any other no-fault benefits. If you are convicted of driving your car, allowing someone else to drive your car, or if you drive another person’s car, which you know does not have no-fault insurance, you may be fined up to $500, put in jail for up to one year, or both.

2. Timothy J. Klisz

Pro

2

Answered . As a Michigan personal injury attorney, I can tell you things are not great for you. Regardless of fault, you cannot drive without insurance in Michigan and will be held responsible civilly for anyone's damages despite fault. It would be best to hire an Avvo 10.0 rated attorney who can represent you in defense. Best of luck moving forward and remember to always be insured.

3. Paul Y. Lee

2

Answered . I suggest you consult a personal injury lawyer in your area. Many such lawyers provide free initial consultation and will take a case on a contingency fee basis. If the other driver was at fault, you should be able to recover damages for your medical expenses and property damages, as well as possibly other damages. If you choose to proceed without a lawyer, you can present your claim to the other driver's insurance carrier, but the wiser course may be for you to consult with an attorney.