Skip to main content

What are my options if the state of Illinois made me overpay on child support?

Bloomington, IL |

Child support is paid through the State Disbursement Unit pursuant to a Notice to
Withhold Income for Support. CS enforcement sent my employer a new notice saying I was a payment behind which was false. CS enforcement told me they could not discuss this over the phone and I had to drive a hour and 15 minutes round trip to the office for CS enforcement to tell me I actually had a credit but they couldn't send my employer of new notice until the beginnng of the month and they couldn't reimburse my overpayment. What can I do to get my money back? CS is through DHS..

Attorney Answers 2

  1. you are not going to like this answer, you get it through the illinois court of claims which is a horrendous process. better to ask the mom to repay you the money. if that fails, you are left with the court of claims.

    the amount may not be enough to warrant hiring a lawyer.

  2. Did you receive notice of the new Notice of Withholding? Did you do anything about it when you received it?

Child support topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics