What are my options if my USCIS I-485 petition was denied

Charlotte, NC |
Filed under: Immigration

I received a letter saying that they denied my 485 petition because certain circumstances lead them to believe the marraige was a sham marraige. the letter was dated Nov 24 2008. Earlier this yr I had applied for a widower petition bc my US citizen spouse passed away. The 360 was approved Dec 10th 2008 by the Vermont center. I really need some advice on my next step of action. Do i need to file a notice of appeal before Dec 24th? What are my options now? I'm so confused.

You should consult with an attorney immediately. Provide the attorney with a copy of the I-485 denial, the I-360 petition (and supporting documents) and the approval notice. Failure to file a response to the I-485 denial may result in the initiation of removal proceedings for the alleged sham marriage. This case is time sensitive and you should spare no expense in obtaining legal representation.

Please consult with and consider hiring an immigration attorney to represent you and protect your interests. Attorneys who practice immigration law are practicing federal law and therefore you can hire an attorney from anywhere in the country (as long as he/she is licensed).

Recommended articles about Immigration