What are my options if my lawyer does not show up at my first court hearing tomorrow?

Asked over 3 years ago - Fort Knox, KY

I have been patiently working with my lawyer well over a month and a half. He has not returned phone calls, and i haven't heard from him in two days. To say the least i'm concerned that he won't even show at court tomorrow. What are my options at court if he doesn't show up to do what I already paid him to do?

1. Joseph Lars Rockne

Answered . Request a continuance. (I'm not sure what type of hearing you have). Explain to the judge what has happened and that you will be retaining another attorney. (And filing a complaint with the bar association)

2. Vikrant Chaudhry

Answered . I agree with the first poster. Oftentimes, a judge will be sympathetic in these situations, especially if it is the first time. A continuance in order to hire substitute counsel may be the best here. Best of luck.

3. Eliz C A Johnson

Answered . I assume you called his office to confirm he would be at the hearing already. If he does not show up, you stand when your case is called and explain to the Judge your predicament. Judges try to be patient with that. Then, after your matter is rescheduled, I agree, you file a complaint with the State Bar. You have a fee agreement with the attorney and paid him for expected services, right?

Use the AVVO.com to find another attorney in your area. In addition to that, contact your local bar association for referral to an attorney who specializes in this. Often, but not always, the attorney will do an initial consultation free of charge. You will then be in a better position to determine what to do next. Best of luck to you!